turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

epeters

How can I fill out educational expenses for a university outside the U.S. which is qualified for U.S. student loans but does not fill out 1098-T forms for students?

My university has provided me with an official letter from the school confirming my expenses and tuition paid for the year. They have told me this document is agreed upon with the U.S. government. Can I still file online, or do I need to mail this in? How can I reflect these expenses on my tax forms?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

How can I fill out educational expenses for a university outside the U.S. which is qualified for U.S. student loans but does not fill out 1098-T forms for students?

All you have to do is indicate in the program that you do not have form 1098-T, you will be able to enter your expenses and scholarships if any.  You don't have to mail any forms if you submit your return electronically. 

1. Federal Taxes
  2. Deductions and Credits
  3. Education
  4. Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T) 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

All you have to do is indicate in the program that you do not have form 1098-T, you will be able to enter your expenses and scholarships if any.  You don't have to mail any forms if you submit your return electronically. 

1. Federal Taxes
  2. Deductions and Credits
  3. Education
  4. Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T) 

epeters

If the currency of the tuition is a foreign currency - how should that be indicated on the form?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies