Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I claim education expenses for my dependent?

Yes, you can get a tax break for your dependent's education expenses.

If you paid the expenses, you might qualify for either the American Opportunity Credit or the Lifetime Learning Credit. The Tuition and Fees deduction is not available for 2018.  It was available for tax years 2017 or earlier.

If your dependent paid for the education expenses, you can claim either the American Opportunity Credit or the Lifetime Learning Credit. For 2017 or earlier, you won't qualify for the tuition deduction if you didn't pay for the student's tuition.

Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Ready to Try TurboTax?

Returning? Sign in