turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

john7

Can TurboTax be used for a situation where one partner in a 2-partner LLC has died?

My wife and I formed a 2-person LLC. She was less than 50% owner. She passed away in Nov. I am finding TurboTax may not be appropriate for figuring my taxes this year. Can I create a part-year 1065 for her and then add her estate as a new partner for the rest of the year? Otherwise it seems I'll have to dissolve the company.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RichardG

Can TurboTax be used for a situation where one partner in a 2-partner LLC has died?

You should only prepare one Form 1065 for your LLC for the year. As you enter or review the data for your deceased's wife's interest in the LLC, check the box to show she left the company during the year (see screenshot below).  Then add her estate as a new member.  This will create one Form 1065 for the LLC and three K-1 forms, with each member receiving an appropriate share of the company's income and deductions.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RichardG

You should only prepare one Form 1065 for your LLC for the year. As you enter or review the data for your deceased's wife's interest in the LLC, check the box to show she left the company during the year (see screenshot below).  Then add her estate as a new member.  This will create one Form 1065 for the LLC and three K-1 forms, with each member receiving an appropriate share of the company's income and deductions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies