turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What do i do with a 1099-patr? turbo tax throws me into a schedule-c but i did not run a business.

I bought property in 2015 with the intent of boarding horses. It got to time consuming to  maintain and i could not afford necessary equipment. I sold the property in 2016 without making a go of it. My lender sent me a 1099-PATR and i dont know what to do with it. Can you help?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Fern

What do i do with a 1099-patr? turbo tax throws me into a schedule-c but i did not run a business.

You need to reduce your cost basis of the property sold by the amount of dividends reported on the 1099-PATR. This will affect your gain or loss on the sale. The 1099-PATR itself will not be reported in your tax return.

The instructions for form 1099-PATR state “Any dividends paid on (1) property bought for personal use or (2) capital assets or depreciable property used in your business are not taxable. However, if (2) applies, reduce the basis of the assets by this amount.”

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Fern

You need to reduce your cost basis of the property sold by the amount of dividends reported on the 1099-PATR. This will affect your gain or loss on the sale. The 1099-PATR itself will not be reported in your tax return.

The instructions for form 1099-PATR state “Any dividends paid on (1) property bought for personal use or (2) capital assets or depreciable property used in your business are not taxable. However, if (2) applies, reduce the basis of the assets by this amount.”
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies