turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I typically file a Schedule C for performing artist. However, I made no money as an actor this year (though I will do so in 2018 hopefully). Do I still file Schedule C?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

I typically file a Schedule C for performing artist. However, I made no money as an actor this year (though I will do so in 2018 hopefully). Do I still file Schedule C?

You do not need to file a Schedule C if you have no income and no expenses as a performing artist.

If you have expenses to claim, you have to file a Schedule C even if you have no income in 2017.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

You do not need to file a Schedule C if you have no income and no expenses as a performing artist.

If you have expenses to claim, you have to file a Schedule C even if you have no income in 2017.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So just to confirm, I can claim expenses, even though I didn't earn any income? I was told 20 years ago when I started, that as an actor, in order to claim expenses you had to prove income (even if it was only $50), and I've operated under that assumption ever since. If that's not the case, great to know! So - how do I prove that I was actively looking for work even though I didn't get any? Do I need to have documentation of any kind? How would I prove to the IRS that I was seeking work, and didn't quit but am still trying to claim expenses? Or is the fact that I've had regular acting income for 20 years enough proof?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies