Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

WorkerBee

Can I take the Standard deduction on Form 1040 since I have income from employment and also still use Schedule C for my small business deductions?

If my estimated itemized deductions for 2018 are close to the standard deduction and I'd like to simplify, can I take the standard deduction and still file Schedule C for my small business?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I take the Standard deduction on Form 1040 since I have income from employment and also still use Schedule C for my small business deductions?

Yes.

Most people these days will take the standard deduction since the amount of the standard deduction has been raised and many itemized deductions have been eliminated or severely restricted as to amount allowed.

The deductions to take on Schedule C are completely independent of amounts that might be claimed as itemized deductions.  If the expenditures are ordinary and necessary to your business activity and properly supported as to amount, those continue to be listed on Schedule C.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes.

Most people these days will take the standard deduction since the amount of the standard deduction has been raised and many itemized deductions have been eliminated or severely restricted as to amount allowed.

The deductions to take on Schedule C are completely independent of amounts that might be claimed as itemized deductions.  If the expenditures are ordinary and necessary to your business activity and properly supported as to amount, those continue to be listed on Schedule C.

Tom Young

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies