turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zebjee

Where i can put eBay shipping and eBay commission under business category? or is this a part of cost of goods sold?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Where i can put eBay shipping and eBay commission under business category? or is this a part of cost of goods sold?

If a small business taxpayer treats inventory as materials and supplies, then the "inventory" is expensed (deducted) in the tax year in which it is sold; the year it was purchased is not relevant.

Also, a small business taxpayer is one who (a) has average annual gross receipts of $26 million or less for the 3 prior tax years, and (b) is not a tax shelter (as defined in section 448(d)(3)).

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1040sc#en_US_2021_publink1000308085

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Cost of Goods Sold is ultimately an expense also. It is just an accounting mechanism used to allocate costs to leftover ending inventory which does not get deducted until the next year.  If your gross receipts are less than 1 million, there is no requirement to maintain an accounting of your inventory.  Not to be confusing, but UNLESS you are keeping an inventory, it does not make any difference whether eBay shipping and commission costs are claimed through cost of goods sold or as an expense line item.

Rule of Thumb:

Inbound shipping costs are cost of goods sold.  Out-bound shipping and selling costs are expense line items.

maballaz

Actually, this is NOT correct: you said

"If your gross receipts are less than 1 million, there is no requirement to maintain an accounting of your inventory"

That is just the first test.

The second requirement is that you MUST sell 100% of that inventory in the same year you bought and expensed it.

If a small business taxpayer treats inventory as materials and supplies, then the "inventory" is expensed (deducted) in the tax year in which it is sold; the year it was purchased is not relevant.

Also, a small business taxpayer is one who (a) has average annual gross receipts of $26 million or less for the 3 prior tax years, and (b) is not a tax shelter (as defined in section 448(d)(3)).

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1040sc#en_US_2021_publink1000308085

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies