rklamb4

Where does my Section 179 depreciation expense show on my federal return?

The section 179 assets show on my asset depreciation summary but the amounts are not included in the total depreciation expense on Schedule E, Line 18
AmeliesUncle

It would show up on Line 18 of Schedule E.

However, the first thing you need to know is if the rental activity rises to the level of a "Trade or Business".  If it does not, you are not allowed to claim section 179.  If it does, TurboTax is faulty and does not properly fill in the top of Form 4562.  You must manually enter the rental profit on Form 4562.

Carl

Be aware that *RESIDENTIAL* rental real estate does not qualify for SEC179. But some assets could qualify for the Special Depreciation Allowance (SDA). So if this is residential, don't confuse the terminology of the two.

Rick19744

The other issue that needs to be addressed is do you have a taxable income limitation?

Keep in mind that Section 179 can only be taken to the extent the trade or business generates income.

Sometimes you need to adjust the Form 4562 to reflect the appropriate income from that trade or business in order to get the Section 179 to flow correctly.  Take a look at line 11 of the form 4562.  This needs to be a positive figure in order to take Section 179 currently.

Aside from the above, as noted, you need to be able to support that this is a trade or business as noted by @AmeliesUncle 

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.*