turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RMS

When reporting State and Local taxes paid should the answer consist only of the number on Sched A line 5 or should I report the total on Line 9?

TT is asking me if I itemized last year (which I did.) It asked me to look at Schedule A line 5 and report if box 5A or B was checked (A was checked). Then it asked me to report my total 2017 State and local taxes. Do I use the number on line 5 or do I include property taxes and input the number on line 9? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

When reporting State and Local taxes paid should the answer consist only of the number on Sched A line 5 or should I report the total on Line 9?

You use the amount on line 5.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You use the amount on line 5.

Excellent question, because the TurboTax instructions could be interpreted either way, and the wrong answer is the one that most logically follows from the instructions.  They should correct this in future versions of TT.  It's also unclear why TT can't import this information directly from 2017 TT for those who filed with TT last year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies