turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mstaussig

When filling out small business expenses, why does my tax liability increase when I enter my office expenses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When filling out small business expenses, why does my tax liability increase when I enter my office expenses?

It is likely because of the way EIC is calculated (on a bell curve).  However, you are required to claim all of your expenses.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

It is likely because of the way EIC is calculated (on a bell curve).  However, you are required to claim all of your expenses.

mstaussig

Thanks Sweetie Jean!  What I discovered is that the running total on the top had changed from negative to positive.  I felt stupid about it but it was good news!

What did you do to fix this ?
mstaussig

I realized that the tax tracker on the top of the page had changed from negative to positive - my tax return was increasing rather than my liability increasing.  Silly mistake that scared me for a while.

I have the same problem with rental property expense. Please advise.

mstaussig

I discovered my running total on the top had changed from negative to positive, that was good news!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies