turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: What is Schedule 3, nonrefundable credit?

@ Shellbell6001 wrote:

This program is a joke! They want me to pay an additional $40 for the state and federal to file, because I am getting $17 back from the feds for contributing to my retirement. So pay $80 to get $17! Makes sense right, I will file my own taxes and I will make sure that everyone I know gets an earful about how stupid Turbo Tax really is.

Or is it this?   Is it Form 8880 for the  Retirement Savings  Contribution Credit?

Have you already done the upgrade to Deluxe?    I'm not a tax expert, but I have seen in the forum that users have tried to remove the Form 8880 to avoid having to pay for an upgrade.  There might be a way to remove that Savers Credit  (Form 8880) by downgrading to Free Edition (using "Clear and Start Over.")   And then once you are back in Free Edition again, it will likely put the Form 8880, but you may be able to remove it  before accepting any upgrade by this method:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-view-and-delete-forms-in-turbotax-online/0...

But it might still put it back after that, too.

I think @ SteamTrain may be familiar with removing that credit, and there may be a way to remove it in the interview, too.   I'll see if he can add to this thread when he's next in the forum. 

In the meantime, I also gave you some info above on the other free product TurboTax IRS Free File Program, if you qualify, which would be an alternative free product that can handle all forms, including the Savers Credit.

@Shellbell6001   @mesquitebean 

If it is the Retirement Savings Contribution Credit (RSCC), and IF...if you haven't already upgraded to deluxe...

Then, go thru the RSCC again and in one of the questions, you indicate that you were a student during 2019,  That supposedly eliminates the RSCC and the forced upgrade.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I've always had simple taxes but this year it is asking me to use the deluxe version because of retirement savings contributions. Does that mean I will be getting back the dollar amount shown (for my contributions) in my actual refund? In other words, if i pay the $80 to file with the Deluxe Edition, I will be getting a higher refund?

ThomasM125
Employee Tax Expert

Your refund will include the retirement savings credit, but it is only a percentage of what you paid in to your retirement fund.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You stated that there is a Free Form that includes the Schedules and other forms if you fall under ONE of the noted conditions.   However, that is just not true.

I tried to do that because income is well under the $36k and when I got to the end, it shot me back the whole "pay $80 because you have Schedule 3, non-refundable credits".  

And, I'm a less than part-time college student for heaven's sake!   I don't make half that amount in a year.  And, I cannot be listed as a Dependent on my parent's tax returns.

Something isn't right.

@ kkonz  wrote:

You stated that there is a Free Form that includes the Schedules and other forms if you fall under ONE of the noted conditions.   However, that is just not true.

I tried to do that because income is well under the $36k and when I got to the end, it shot me back the whole "pay $80 because you have Schedule 3, non-refundable credits".  

And, I'm a less than part-time college student for heaven's sake!   I don't make half that amount in a year.  And, I cannot be listed as a Dependent on my parent's tax returns.

TurboTax has 2 free products.  If you were asked to pay anything, it sounds like you are in the wrong free product, and I'll explain both products and how to switch.   You probably were using regular Free Edition.  The other free product (TurboTax IRS Free File Program) that I describe below can handle all the usual forms and schedules and has no fees for Federal and state returns.   It is the TurboTax IRS Free File Program that allows one free preparation and filing if they meet 1 of the qualifications, such as AGI less than $36,000 etc.   See more about it below.

The regular Free Edition is for very simple returns and not everyone can use it.  Certain forms are not available in Free Edition and require an upgrade to Deluxe, such as one of Schedules 1-3, itemized deductions, education credits, student loan, interest, etc.  

FAQ:  Why do I have to upgrade from Free Edition?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/upgrading/help/why-do-i-have-to-upgrade-from-free-edition/00/26379

The other free product (TurboTax IRS Free File Program) is fully-featured and can prepare all the usual forms and schedules.   For example, it can prepare Schedules 1-3, as well as  Schedule C, D, E, F, etc., and enter K-1.  It is even more powerful than Deluxe, if you qualify.  But one has to meet one of the qualifications to use.  See below:

To qualify for free 2019 federal and state tax returns through the IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax, you just need to meet one of these requirements:

• Your 2019 household AGI is $36,000 or less; or
      • You qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC); or
      • In 2019, you served as active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a maximum AGI of $69,000, and you have a military-issued W-2.

If you qualify for that program and want to use it, see these 2 FAQs, including how to switch:

FAQ:  What is the TurboTax IRS Free File Program?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/what-is-the-turbotax-free-file-program/01/...

and

FAQ:  How do I switch to the TurboTax IRS Free File Program?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/downgrading/help/how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-free-file-program/00/...

@kkonz 

Or did you already pay for Deluxe?  It's not clear from  your posting.  You said it charged you $80, but you didn't say if you paid it or not.   If you already paid, report back, and I'll have some additional suggestions.

No, I did not finalize and pay it yet.

I tried yesterday to go to the "free" site that was mentioned in a previous posting and it didn't work because it just pushed me back into saying I had to pay for Deluxe.

I'll read your comments and the links provided and give it one more try.   Thx.

Wow, that finally worked.  (Although the directions given to switch changed and had to muddle around a bit to get it to switch).

Either way, thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies