jane3

We plan to dissolve a 3 member s corp, but not complete as of 3/2018. Can I file a final return for 2017, as we have not conducted business since 12/2017?

JulieH1

Yes.

In fact, many states require that you do a final return before they would even let you dissolve your company with the business and regulation department.  It can only be a final return IF you have everything done with the business and are prepared to not sell or liquidate anything in 2018. 

I am not sure the nature of your business or if you have any assets but your final return will include all the leftover depreciation, etc. that can be distributed to the other members by K-1.

JulieH1

Yes.

I have a follow-up question, as a different user in the same situation. When you say "IF you have everything done with the business," does that include simple payments for expenses that are not COGs related? My business has had no income in 2018, nor any expenses related to goods sold. But we still have some overhead, such as checking account service charges, post office box rental, etc., in 2018, so we are still in business for a few more months wrapping things up, but with nothing coming in. Can we file our final return for 2017? Thanks.

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing