Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!

Unable to "Select the SSTB that this partnership receives income from" as there is none to select

I am a limited partner in a business that is dedicated to managing the real estate/rental for our medical office. From this entity, I receive a K-1.

As related to the medical practice itself, I receive a W2.

In TurboTax I have reached the question "Does this business (the real estate partnership with K-1) receive income from a specified services business with common ownership?" I select yes, because both businesses are owned by the same group of physicians. TurboTax then asks me to "Select the SSTB (Specified Service or Trade Business) that this partnership receives income (i.e. rent) from".

I am not able to select the business I receive the W2 from as I don't have a K-1 or otherwise that would have been entered in TurboTax so I am not clear how to proceed or if I may be looking at this incorrectly.

Thanks in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Go back and say NO since you only have a K1 from one of the businesses. Of course if you are an owner in  the medical practice you should get a K-1 for the ownership AND a W-2 for working the business. 

Thanks. I should clarify that the medical practice is a Professional Corporation with shares issued and as such/based on how it is managed, no K-1's are produced.

Ok .. so it is a C-corp where you own shares and get dividends from it  and a W-2 since you also work for the company ... in this case no K-1 will ever be issued so say no.

Got it. Thank you!
michaelh

What supports the position that rental income to a real estate partnership from a commonly owned SSTB  taxed as a C corporation does not make the real estate partnership a SSTB? Everything I read indicates it does not matter whether SSTB is a pass through or C corporation, it still taints the real estate partnership.