turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax Home&Business appears to double count start-up expenses

I started 2 separate farm business in two different states (MN and NE).  I entered the startup expense for the first one in the Farm Section of Step by Step.  TurboTax appears to be putting the start-up costs for Farm A on the other Schedule F for Farm B and double counting the costs.

Also, I can't get the step-by-step to let me separately enter the startup expenses for Farm B.   Opening Farm B in Step by Step and selecting Startup costs gets me to the list I just entered for Farm A.

The other expenses (taxes, etc.) seem to be entered ok.

I might be able to game the system by entering one farm under schedule F and the second on schedule C. But I don't think I should have to do that, right?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

That would be wrong ...  in each Sch F section you will have the opportunity to enter the income and expenses for each farm.  Switch to the FORMS mode and  review  your entries carefully ...  delete a section if needed and try again. 

This was caused by a glitch in Turbo Tax.  Probably caused by me answering questions one way the first time through, then changing it later.  To fix it, we deleted the entire business that was being counted twice, then re-entered that business's information again.  This time the forms appeared to be done correctly.   Painful, but at least we didn't have to dump the return and start the whole thing over.   Apparently changing some answers in the step-by-step does not always flow all the way through.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies