turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Trust 1041 fiscal year end

I filed trust taxes in 2018 assuming the trust was on a calendar year. It turns out it was on a fiscal year ending November 30th. I have gone back into TurboTax Business 2018 to file an amendment using the original turbotax file as a base, and when I set the ending month for the fiscal year as November (11), it insists on starting the fiscal year as Dec 1, 2018 and ending in November, 2019. How do I get it to start in December 2017 and end in November 2018? Or, since I have to print the forms out and mail them in, do I just overwrite the dates by hand? Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@jlahm wrote:

....since I have to print the forms out and mail them in, do I just overwrite the dates by hand?

Print out the return, overwrite the dates by hand, and mail it in. Otherwise, you have to use the 2017 version of TurboTax Business to prepare a return for a fiscal year that began in 2017.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

@jlahm wrote:

....since I have to print the forms out and mail them in, do I just overwrite the dates by hand?

Print out the return, overwrite the dates by hand, and mail it in. Otherwise, you have to use the 2017 version of TurboTax Business to prepare a return for a fiscal year that began in 2017.

Anonymous
Not applicable

technically for a fiscal year the rule is to look at the included month of December which is in your case is Dec 2017 so you are supposed to use 2017 tax forms.    when you file the year ended 11/30/19 you are to use 2018 turbo tax (the included December is 12/18) 

for now what I would try is to cross out 2018 on the top right and write 2017 also change the dates at the top to correspond to the fiscal year.     

Thank you - I will hand-write the dates in.

A second question: I have to deduct the income from December, 2018 and add in the missing income from December, 2017. By deducting the December 2018 income, the amounts will no longer match the 1099DIV and 1099B form amounts. I had assumed that I would just add in a new dividend entry with a name of "`12/2018 adjustment" and a negative amount to remove that month's income, which seems to work. I am somewhat at a loss as how to handle the 1099B sales The original sales has a positive number for the proceed and cost basis. It will allow me to enter a negative number for proceeds, but not for cost basis. How do I "remove" a stock sale for an amendment? Thanks for your help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies