turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nicole-vk

If I want to use the Section 179 deduction for a car in my small business, do I have to choose "actual expenses"?

If I want to use the Section 179 deduction for my car in my small business, do I have to choose "actual expenses" as opposed to "standard mileage deduction"? And if so, am I stuck with using actual expenses for the duration of time that I use this car for my business?

This is the screen I got:
"You Get a Bigger Deduction by Using The Standard Mileage Rate
Based on our projections, your deductions over a 5 year period are greater using the standard mileage rate. Learn More
Your standard mileage deduction is $25,810.
Your actual expenses are $13,473.
Select the method you want to use.
Note: Remember that if you use the actual expenses method this year, the first year you used the vehicle for business, you must use that method for the entire time you use the vehicle for business."

I'm bummed that I might not be able to use the Section 179 deduction, because it seemed like a good deal. I don't want to screw over my future self though and make me use actual expenses (which might be less than standard mileage and also be more work to keep all receipts for gas, etc).

Thanks!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Fern

If I want to use the Section 179 deduction for a car in my small business, do I have to choose "actual expenses"?

The decision to take Section 179 deduction will impact more than Tax Year 2015.  If you take a section 179 deduction you cannot use the standard mileage rate to calculate your car expenses. Also, if you claim either a section 179 deduction or use a depreciation method other than straight line in the first year the car is in service, you cannot use the standard mileage rate on that car in any future year.

See IRS Publication 463 for more information. https://www.irs.gov/publications/p463/ch04.html#en_US_2014_publink100033949

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Fern

The decision to take Section 179 deduction will impact more than Tax Year 2015.  If you take a section 179 deduction you cannot use the standard mileage rate to calculate your car expenses. Also, if you claim either a section 179 deduction or use a depreciation method other than straight line in the first year the car is in service, you cannot use the standard mileage rate on that car in any future year.

See IRS Publication 463 for more information. https://www.irs.gov/publications/p463/ch04.html#en_US_2014_publink100033949

How can you navigate back to the data entry screens where you enter the section 179 deduction and choose to use it or not?  I entered data there knowing I would need to go back and re-visit it.  I've mostly done the taxes, but cannot get back to those screens.  Please help.  I'm using Turbo Tax Home & Business.  I've searched for "section 179" in topics and it provides a link to take me there, but all it does it take me to the business expenses page.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies