turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can anyone help and tell me where i get the figures to put on asset sales and asset expenses

I have attached a screen shot of what i am having trouble with. I dont understand where you get these totals and percentage of allocation
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieCo

Can anyone help and tell me where i get the figures to put on asset sales and asset expenses

The asset sale amount would be the contracted or agreed upon price for which the asset is being sold.

To determine a split between a building/asset value and land value, a realtor or an appraiser would be a good resource to assist you, as well as viewing the assessed values from a property tax statement (which may not truly reflect market value).  Or if you had previously entered a split between the asset and land from when you first purchased the asset, you could use the same ratio if you do not feel that land or building values (separately) have increased or decreased that much, one over the other.

Asset sale expenses would be expenses associated with the sale of the asset, such as commissions, appraisal fees, broker fees, legal fees, advertising fees, title insurance, inspection fees, surveys, loan charges, or other fees paid on the buyer's behalf, etc.

To allocate costs between the asset and land, you would use a percentage allocation of what each asset value is as a percent of the total combined.  For instance, if the asset and land were being sold for a total of $400 and the building is worth $300 which is 75% of the total value and the land is worth $100 or 25% of the total, then you would allocate 75% of the selling prices to the building asset and 25% of selling expenses to the land asset.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JulieCo

The asset sale amount would be the contracted or agreed upon price for which the asset is being sold.

To determine a split between a building/asset value and land value, a realtor or an appraiser would be a good resource to assist you, as well as viewing the assessed values from a property tax statement (which may not truly reflect market value).  Or if you had previously entered a split between the asset and land from when you first purchased the asset, you could use the same ratio if you do not feel that land or building values (separately) have increased or decreased that much, one over the other.

Asset sale expenses would be expenses associated with the sale of the asset, such as commissions, appraisal fees, broker fees, legal fees, advertising fees, title insurance, inspection fees, surveys, loan charges, or other fees paid on the buyer's behalf, etc.

To allocate costs between the asset and land, you would use a percentage allocation of what each asset value is as a percent of the total combined.  For instance, if the asset and land were being sold for a total of $400 and the building is worth $300 which is 75% of the total value and the land is worth $100 or 25% of the total, then you would allocate 75% of the selling prices to the building asset and 25% of selling expenses to the land asset.  

Thank you! Is this the same if it was a rental that was sold?

What if you have three assets listed because you made improvements to sell the rental.  How do you allocate the business portion of the sales price among the three assets?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies