turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife tutors as a side business at our local library. Can we deduct the mileage to and from the library for this business?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My wife tutors as a side business at our local library. Can we deduct the mileage to and from the library for this business?

From home to first destination (including main location of employment or self employment) and from last destination back home is considered commuting expenses which are nondeductible.

However, miles traveled between the two destinations for business purposes are deductible.

If you maintain a business office in your home, you can deduct all business mileage from home back to home.

See Can I take the home office deduction?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901224-can-i-take-the-home-office-deduction

You can deduct 54 cents per mile or actual vehicle expenses (ie. gasoline. oil, tires, maintenance) prorated for business miles.

If you claim the standard mileage rate in year one for this vehicle, you will have the option of deducting the standard rate or actual expenses in subsequent years. If

View solution in original post

4 Replies

From home to first destination (including main location of employment or self employment) and from last destination back home is considered commuting expenses which are nondeductible.

However, miles traveled between the two destinations for business purposes are deductible.

If you maintain a business office in your home, you can deduct all business mileage from home back to home.

See Can I take the home office deduction?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901224-can-i-take-the-home-office-deduction

You can deduct 54 cents per mile or actual vehicle expenses (ie. gasoline. oil, tires, maintenance) prorated for business miles.

If you claim the standard mileage rate in year one for this vehicle, you will have the option of deducting the standard rate or actual expenses in subsequent years. If

thank you but I don't think we can claim a home office deduction so it sounds like we can't claim her mileage to/from the library for her tutoring.  There was something about if the location is temporary, you can.  But in our case, the library is temporary for her to tutor.  Please let me know if I got this wrong.  thank you

You may be thinking about deducting expenses working out of town for a year or less (temporary). As I understand your situation, the mileage would unfortunately not be deductible.

thank you!!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies