turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is my basis of shares purchased by a family trust (after the grantor's death) the date the trust purchased the shares, or the date that the shares were distributed?

The trustee hired a firm to manage the trust, which bought several new investments in the 18 months that passed from time of death to the in-kind distribution.  I had no access the to trust assets prior to distribution and dissolution of the trust.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is my basis of shares purchased by a family trust (after the grantor's death) the date the trust purchased the shares, or the date that the shares were distributed?

" I had no access the to trust assets prior to distribution and dissolution of the trust."

That fact is largely irrelevant but whether or not you actually purchased the shares from the trust is relevant. In that instance, your basis would be what you paid for the shares and your holding period would begin on the purchase date.

If this happened to be an in-kind distribution of shares to a beneficiary, then the beneficiary would have a carryover basis (i.e., would use the trust's basis as his/her own basis) and the holding period would start on the date the shares were purchased by the trust (i.e., tacking is permitted).

View solution in original post

4 Replies

" I had no access the to trust assets prior to distribution and dissolution of the trust."

That fact is largely irrelevant but whether or not you actually purchased the shares from the trust is relevant. In that instance, your basis would be what you paid for the shares and your holding period would begin on the purchase date.

If this happened to be an in-kind distribution of shares to a beneficiary, then the beneficiary would have a carryover basis (i.e., would use the trust's basis as his/her own basis) and the holding period would start on the date the shares were purchased by the trust (i.e., tacking is permitted).

Thank you.  Yes, this was an in-kind distribution to the beneficiaries of the trust, at the time of dissolution of the trust by the trustee.  I do not understand what you mean by "tacking is permitted" - could you explain?

Simple: the trust's holding period is "tacked on" to the period you held the shares.

Thank you!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies