turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

alohapete

How do I finally claim Form 3800 general business credits after the 20 year carryforward period?

I have low-income housing credits generated over multiple years that I have had to carry forward due to tentative minimum tax limitations. IRS Form 3800 instructions state that they can be carried forward for 20 years, but then "may be taken as a deduction in the ...tax year following the last tax year of the 20-year carry forward period." Do I have to get TurboTax to override some sections of Form 3800 in order to finally claim the 20 year old credits in spite of ongoing tentative minimum tax limits?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

How do I finally claim Form 3800 general business credits after the 20 year carryforward period?

This General Business Credits Carryforward section of TurboTax goes back to 1998 when selecting the first year the credit was claimed.  If your first year for claiming the low-income housing credit was in 1998, then 2017 will be the last year to claim this credit.  You will be able to deduct the remaining credit amount next year.  If your first year credit was prior to 1998, you will need to perform an override.

You will need to do this in forms mode.  Returns that contain overrides cannot be e-filed.  Follow these TurboTax steps below to utilize the override function:

1. "Click on the Forms icon in the upper right to switch to forms mode and open the form that contains the line item you want to override.
  2. Right-click the line item and select Override.
  3. Enter the value; it will turn red.
  4. Switch back to the interview by clicking Step-by-Step in the upper right corner.
To reverse the override, follow the same directions except choose Cancel Override in Step 2.

When you run the final review, TurboTax will let you know if there are any overridden values in your return.  If there are, you'll get an error message if you try to e-file your return.”

alohapete

Thank you TurboTaxCaro. I guess my question is more of a TAX question rather than a TurboTax question--where exactly on Form 3800 (or elsewhere?) do I do the override? I can't figure it out from IRS instructions anywhere. Any help from anyone?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies