turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

takesean

I started an LLC in 2016. When is the due date for filing start-up and organization cost? And is the tax filing for LLC separate from my personal tax submission?

I started an single-owned LLC in 2016. When is the due date for filing start-up and organization cost? And is the tax filing for LLC separate from my personal tax submission?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I started an LLC in 2016. When is the due date for filing start-up and organization cost? And is the tax filing for LLC separate from my personal tax submission?

Unless your (sole-member) LLC elects to be treated as an S-Corp or C-Corp it has no separate income tax filing requirement at the federal level.  It's considered a "disregarded" entity and you report its activities on Schedule C of your Form 1040.  While I expect most states take the same position as the federal government with respect to an "income tax return" for the LLC, there almost certainly are other annual state-level filing requirements so the state can extract an fee from you for the "privilege" of forming an LLC in their jurisdiction.

I don't know what you mean by "due date for filing start-up and organization costs."  Typically these costs are capitalized and then amortized over some period of time.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Unless your (sole-member) LLC elects to be treated as an S-Corp or C-Corp it has no separate income tax filing requirement at the federal level.  It's considered a "disregarded" entity and you report its activities on Schedule C of your Form 1040.  While I expect most states take the same position as the federal government with respect to an "income tax return" for the LLC, there almost certainly are other annual state-level filing requirements so the state can extract an fee from you for the "privilege" of forming an LLC in their jurisdiction.

I don't know what you mean by "due date for filing start-up and organization costs."  Typically these costs are capitalized and then amortized over some period of time.

Tom Young

takesean

Thank you Tom. With re: to "due date for filing start-up and organization costs." I was not sure whether I need to file startup and organizational expenses separately for the LLC or as part of my personal tax filing. Since I have no plans to elect the single-member LLC to be treated as an S- or C-Corp, I would think that I do not need to file separately based on your input. So no other due date to observe aside from the normal tax filing due date. Is that a correct understanding?

Absent something required at the state level, you are correct.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies