turbotax icon
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

weblance

Started a business, formed an llc in march, business is in development phase. How do I enter startup costs with no revenue and a business start date in the future.

Formed an LLC in March '16. The business is in the R&D phase with no customers and no revenue. I have continuously deposited seed funding since before the LLC formation and throughout the year. How do I claim the startup and business expenses when my actual business start date is undefined and I have no business revenue to claim yet?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Started a business, formed an llc in march, business is in development phase. How do I enter startup costs with no revenue and a business start date in the future.

You will enter all of your start-up costs in the year you ''open for business''.  For start-up expenses it does not matter in what year the expense was incurred.  Some businesses take years to "start up" before they are open.   

Start-Up Expenses are reported in aggregate - one amount equal to the total of all expenses incurred.  In the year you become ''open for business'', these costs are entered either under Assets/Depreciation or under Business Expenses depending on the amount.

• Per IRS Pub 535 Business Start-Up and Organizational Costs: "Business start-up and organizational costs are generally capital expenditures. However, you can elect to deduct up to $5,000 of business start-up and $5,000 of organizational costs paid or incurred after October 22, 2004. The $5,000 deduction is reduced by the amount your total start-up or organizational costs exceed $50,000. Any remaining costs must be amortized."

In TurboTax, there is a special place for these costs to be entered once you are ready to do so.  

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question

Related Content

Manage cookies