turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Solo 401(k) Contribution Timing

I see from the IRS website that the deadline for making solo 401(k) contributions is my filing deadline (that is April 15), but it is unclear to me whether I can file earlier (say February) but then wait to April to make my 401(k) contributions.

I have an unusually large refund coming my way this year and would like to use to partially fund the 401(k) contributions.

Any thoughts?  Reference to an IRS document would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Sorry ... missed that twist ... you can always file earlier ... this doesn't change the 4/15 deadline for the contribution.  The contributions rules don't say up to the date  you file ... it says up to 4/15 or 10/15 if you go on extension.  

In fact this is a good tax planning tool where you get the refund in say  March and use the money to fund the retirement account by April.  

View solution in original post

4 Replies

According to Solo 401k contribution deadline rules, plan participants must formally elect to make an employee deferral contribution by Dec. 31. However, the actual contribution can be made up until the personal tax-filing deadline (April 15, or October 15 if an extension was filed).

Thanks, but neither of the IRS links you posted say what you say in your reply.  There is so much bad information on solo 401(k)s on the internet that I have learned to look solely at IRS documents.

IRS Pub 560 (page 3 of the pdf) does say what you say, but my question was:

"I see from the IRS website that the deadline for making solo 401(k) contributions is my filing deadline (that is April 15), but it is unclear to me whether I can file earlier (say February) but then wait to April to make my 401(k) contributions."

Sorry ... missed that twist ... you can always file earlier ... this doesn't change the 4/15 deadline for the contribution.  The contributions rules don't say up to the date  you file ... it says up to 4/15 or 10/15 if you go on extension.  

In fact this is a good tax planning tool where you get the refund in say  March and use the money to fund the retirement account by April.  

Thanks.  I was hoping for a more definitive answer (e.g., the IRS publications are very clear that I can file before making a claimed IRA contribution), but I think you are right.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies