turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SCH C...SELF EMPLOYED INCOME...I have $0 income but I have expenses. How many years can I show $0 income on Sch C and still declare related expenses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

SCH C...SELF EMPLOYED INCOME...I have $0 income but I have expenses. How many years can I show $0 income on Sch C and still declare related expenses?

Simple answer: 2 years.

The general rule is that if you have not turned a profit in at least three of the prior five years, the IRS will categorize your business as a hobby. 

Reference: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/small-business-taxes/when-the-irs-classifies-your-business-as-a...

But, it depends on the other details of your activity. That rule is not automatic and you can make a case if the IRS audits you.

The IRS expects that if you start a business, you intend to make money at it. If you don't, your business is likely to be a hobby. To determine if your business is a hobby, the IRS looks at numerous factors, including the following:

• Do you put in the necessary time and effort to turn a profit?
  • Have you made a profit in this activity in the past, or can you expect to make one in the future?
  • Do you have the necessary knowledge to succeed in this field?
  • Do you depend on income from this activity?
  • Are your losses beyond your control?

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

Simple answer: 2 years.

The general rule is that if you have not turned a profit in at least three of the prior five years, the IRS will categorize your business as a hobby. 

Reference: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/small-business-taxes/when-the-irs-classifies-your-business-as-a...

But, it depends on the other details of your activity. That rule is not automatic and you can make a case if the IRS audits you.

The IRS expects that if you start a business, you intend to make money at it. If you don't, your business is likely to be a hobby. To determine if your business is a hobby, the IRS looks at numerous factors, including the following:

• Do you put in the necessary time and effort to turn a profit?
  • Have you made a profit in this activity in the past, or can you expect to make one in the future?
  • Do you have the necessary knowledge to succeed in this field?
  • Do you depend on income from this activity?
  • Are your losses beyond your control?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies