turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Graycat

Should I use Schedule C?

Turbotax is insisting on filling out Schedule C even though the only business income is rental real estate and all the information is filled out on Schedule E.  Our 1099 misc only includes income in box 1.  The house was our principal residence but we converted it to rental when we move.  We have not used it for any other use since we started renting it out.  We sold the house this year at a loss and are not doin any other real estate.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

Should I use Schedule C?

No. A Schedule C in this case is not used. As you say, Schedule E is what's used for Box 1, 1099-MISC. Maybe somehow at end of the 1099 interview, you mistakenly linked it to Self-Employed income.

Try to delete the Schedule C first, if not needed otherwise. If still a problem, delete the 1099-MISC. Your Schedule E will remain intact and you can either re-ënter the 1099-MISC or more easily directly in the Schedule E interview.

Then, Delete your Schedule C business:

1.       With your return open, search for this exact phrase: business (schedule c) (include the parentheses) and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.

2.       Answer Yes when asked if you had (or want to work on) business income and expenses for 2016.

o    That's right – you'll need to answer Yes, even though it doesn't make sense.

o    If you're being forced to upgrade to Home & Business, contact us for further assistance.

3.       When you get to the Business info or Business Summary screen, click Delete next to the defunct business.

4.       Answer Yes to confirm the removal of all business-related forms.

To delete any 1099-MISC.

·         Simply search for the form number (for example, 1099-MISC) and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results to get to the Summary screen.

If that doesn't work:

1.       Open your return in TurboTax.

(To do this, sign in to TurboTax, and click the orange Take me to my return button.)

2.       In the upper right corner, click My Account > Tools.

3.       In the pop-up window, select Delete a form.

4.       Click Delete next to the 1099-MISC and follow the onscreen instructions.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelDC

Should I use Schedule C?

No. A Schedule C in this case is not used. As you say, Schedule E is what's used for Box 1, 1099-MISC. Maybe somehow at end of the 1099 interview, you mistakenly linked it to Self-Employed income.

Try to delete the Schedule C first, if not needed otherwise. If still a problem, delete the 1099-MISC. Your Schedule E will remain intact and you can either re-ënter the 1099-MISC or more easily directly in the Schedule E interview.

Then, Delete your Schedule C business:

1.       With your return open, search for this exact phrase: business (schedule c) (include the parentheses) and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.

2.       Answer Yes when asked if you had (or want to work on) business income and expenses for 2016.

o    That's right – you'll need to answer Yes, even though it doesn't make sense.

o    If you're being forced to upgrade to Home & Business, contact us for further assistance.

3.       When you get to the Business info or Business Summary screen, click Delete next to the defunct business.

4.       Answer Yes to confirm the removal of all business-related forms.

To delete any 1099-MISC.

·         Simply search for the form number (for example, 1099-MISC) and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results to get to the Summary screen.

If that doesn't work:

1.       Open your return in TurboTax.

(To do this, sign in to TurboTax, and click the orange Take me to my return button.)

2.       In the upper right corner, click My Account > Tools.

3.       In the pop-up window, select Delete a form.

4.       Click Delete next to the 1099-MISC and follow the onscreen instructions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies