turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I enter my total amount monies that came into my business or what I actually profited?

for example my company brought in a total of $20,000.00 but my actual income to me minus expenses was $10,000.00. This is for the other self employed income.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Should I enter my total amount monies that came into my business or what I actually profited?

You enter all of those numbers.  In your example, $20,000 income less $10,000 expenses = $10,000 taxable income. 

You will use a Self-Employed version of TurboTax.

• Click on Federal down the left hand side of the screen.
  • Click on Income & Expenses across the top of the screen.
  • Under Your income and expenses you will find Self-employment income and expenses.
  • Click on Start to the right.

The software will ask you questions about the nature of the business enterprise and guide you to enter both the income and expense amounts.  The software will compute the net profit or loss of the business and report the information as the IRS requires.  You will be taxed upon the net profit of the business.

The IRS states:

Before you can determine if you are subject to .... income tax, you must figure your net profit or net loss from your business.

You do this by subtracting your business expenses from your business income.

If your expenses are less than your income, the difference is net profit and becomes part of your income on page 1 of Form 1040 or 1040-SR.

If your expenses are more than your income, the difference is a net loss. You usually can deduct your loss from gross income on page 1 of Form 1040 or 1040-SR. But in some situations your loss is limited.

Source: IRS Self-Employed Individuals Tax Center

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You will enter GROSS income  in the Sch C section and all your expenses and the program will net out the profit ... do not do the math in advance and only enter the net.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies