Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Self employed hairstylist, do i need to file a 1099 or just a schedule c

I rent booth
1 Reply
New Member

Self employed hairstylist, do i need to file a 1099 or just a schedule c

You are self-employed and will report your business income and expenses on Schedule C. You will enter the income and expenses related to your business, in the business section.

The following link contains additional information on filing Schedule C:

Reporting Self-Employment Business Income and Deductions 

Whether you received a 1099-MISC for self-employment, rent, royalties, fishing, or another reason, you can enter the information by following these steps (or this link for our mobile app:(

  • Sign in to your TurboTax account.
  • Select the orange button Take me to my return.
  • Type “1099-misc” in the Search box.
  • Select the “Jump to” link.
  • This will take you to the 1099-MISC screen.

After you’ve entered the information from your 1099-MISC, we'll ask a few questions to confirm the type of income you received and create the necessary forms. If your 1099-MISC income is from self-employment, we’ll help you enter expenses related to your income.

The related expenses are entered in the 1099 MISC section: 

  • Log into your TurboTax online account and click on the Business tab and select Continue
  • Select “I’ll choose what I work on” and this takes you to “Let’s gather your business info” screen
  •  The first section down is Business Income and Expenses, choose Update
  • You are now at the “Here’s  the business info we have so far” screen where you should see your Business listed
  • Click Edit next to that business and on the next screen, scroll down to the fourth section which should be Business Expenses and select “Visit All

To enter income from self-employment without a 1099-Misc:

Type “Schedule C” in the Search box and then select the “Jump to” link. This will take you to where you can enter any cash, personal checks or credit card payments (Form 1099-K) related to your self-employment. You may be asked some general questions about your business. After you answer them, you’ll be taken to the Your Business screen where you can enter this income as Additional Income under Business Income.


message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies