You can enter the expenses connected with your office suite as Building or land rental in TurboTax Online or Rental Expenses in TurboTax CD Download.
- In your return, click Income and Expenses and then click the Start/Revisit box in the Self-Employment section.
- On the Your 2020 self-employed work summary screen, click on Edit next to your business.
- Click on the box Add expenses for this work.
- On the Tell us about any expenses screen, mark the radio button next to Building or land rental (in the Less Common Expenses section) and click Continue at the bottom of the screen.
- On the screen, Let's enter the building rental expenses for your [XX]work], enter your expenses.
- If you have more than one entry, click Add another row.
There is a separate entry for utilities -- don't forget those!
- Click on the Business tab > Continue > I'll choose what to work on
- On the Let’s gather your business info screen, in the Business Income and Expenses section, click the Start/Update button.
- If you have already started adding information about your business, you will see the Here's the business info we have so far screen. Click on the Edit box next to the business.
- If you haven't already started adding business information, continue through the screens to enter the needed information.
- You will now be on the Your [XX] Business screen.
- Scroll down to the Business Expenses section and click on the Start/Update box next to Other Common Business Expenses.
- Click the Start/Update box next to Rental Expenses.
- On the Rental Payments screen, click the Start box next to Building or Land Rental.
- Enter the expenses on the next screen.
If you own the building (meaning you have a mortgage on it) and it's strictly used for business (meaning it's not your primary residence or a part of it.) you'll deal with that in the Business Assets section.
If you do not own the building and pay rent for it, there's a section in the expenses section specifically for rents that you pay for anything and everything used by your business.
If you are claiming a home office in your residence, then you deal with that in the home office expenses section.