turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Special Depreciation Allowance

I sold a piece of rental property.  When calculating the depreciation recapture for the property will I add the "Special Depreciation Allowance" to the prior and Current depreciation?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes.  Use all three of those (and any Section 179) to calculate the total depreciation.

Just to double check, when you say "rental property", so you mean a building that you rent out?  If so, are you referring to appliances or something?  For the most part, the building itself does not qualify for the Special Depreciation Allowance.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Yes.  Use all three of those (and any Section 179) to calculate the total depreciation.

Just to double check, when you say "rental property", so you mean a building that you rent out?  If so, are you referring to appliances or something?  For the most part, the building itself does not qualify for the Special Depreciation Allowance.

"When calculating the depreciation recapture for the property will I..."  Doesn't the program do this automatically?

It didn't for me.

If you enter the sales price in the "asset" section, the program WILL calculate the appropriate taxes.  If you enter it elsewhere (such as the Sale of Business Property section), you need to manually add up the depreciation.

Seems like the program has a flaw if the result depends on where the sales price is entered.

@rebab  The Sale of Business Property section is basically a manual entry section (similar to the stock section), while the Asset section already has all of the pre-existing information, and you just add the sales information.

That's clearer, thanks.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies