turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What are "Sch E - Regular Tax Carryovers" and "Sch E - Alt Min Tax Carryovers" in the Passive Lossed carried over from 2020?

Hello, I'm doing Passive Losses carried over from 2020,
my 8582 shows $3690 in unallowed loss, what should I input and where?
What should go in "regular tax carryover", "alt min tax carryovers", "QBI carryovers" and where do I find this info on my 2020 return?
Thanks!!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What are "Sch E - Regular Tax Carryovers" and "Sch E - Alt Min Tax Carryovers" in the Passive Lossed carried over from 2020?

Does this $3690 go in the "Sch E - Regular Tax Carryovers" box in Turbotax?  Yes

What number from my 2020 8582 goes in the "Sch E - Alt Min Tax Carryovers" for this year's return?  You should have an AMT worksheet if there are any AMT carryovers ... like I said you should have 2 form 8582 and one should be marked AMT use.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

how did you do the 2020 return? if you use Turbotax online and are in the same account you used for 2020 all these items should transfer to the 2021 return.  most likely the 8582 items appear on the separate worksheets for schedule E. 

I used a tax pro last year.

Are you able to tell me what should appear in those:

Sch E - Regular Tax Carryovers

Sch E - Alt Min Tax Carryovers

Sch E - QBI Carryovers

Thank you

The tax pro should have given you a copy of the return with all the forms and worksheets included ... if they did not see if they will send/give you the rest of the paperwork.  They may have given you a carryover summary page instead. 

The form 8582 will be in your return twice ... one for reg carryovers and one for AMT.  All these prior items in connection with the Sch E will be entered in the Sch E interview section of the TT program. 

Thank you.

I do have access to last year's return, as I mentioned in my original post: "my 2020 8582 shows $3690 in unallowed loss in worksheet 5"

I'm just struggling with connecting the right information from my 2020 8582 with this year's tax return in Turbotax.

Does this $3690 go in the "Sch E - Regular Tax Carryovers" box in Turbotax?

What number from my 2020 8582 goes in the "Sch E - Alt Min Tax Carryovers" for this year's return?

Does this $3690 go in the "Sch E - Regular Tax Carryovers" box in Turbotax?  Yes

What number from my 2020 8582 goes in the "Sch E - Alt Min Tax Carryovers" for this year's return?  You should have an AMT worksheet if there are any AMT carryovers ... like I said you should have 2 form 8582 and one should be marked AMT use.

got it thanks!
I do have 2 forms 8285 with one mentioning AMT at the top as you said, with the same amounts as the other one.

So in this case I'd report the $3690 from "unallowed loss" on the AMT 8285 into the box "Sch E - Alt Min Tax Carryovers" in Turbotax, correct? (on top of having $3690 go in the "Sch E - Regular Tax Carryovers")

Thanks again for all your help

Bingo

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies