turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Txpyr
Returning Member

US Entity paying a US citizen (individual) living abroad`

Hi,

My US entity is buying a large item ($10k +) from a US citizen (individual) currently residing abroad - wiring the funds directly to the individual. I believe they've been residing abroad for almost 1-year now. The item will be imported and used for business here in the US.

1) Do I need to have the individual provide my entity a W9? 

2)  If the individual says they are not required to provide a W9 (perhaps they are no longer a US citizen, or perhaps they are acting as a broker between me and the manufacturer), then what other form will I need in order to prove they are not required to provide the W9?

3) Lacking any form received from the individual, will my entity be able to expense/depreciate/write-off the the purchased item?

Thank you!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

@Txpyr wrote:

Hi,

My US entity is buying a large item ($10k +) from a US citizen (individual) currently residing abroad - wiring the funds directly to the individual. I believe they've been residing abroad for almost 1-year now. The item will be imported and used for business here in the US.

1) Do I need to have the individual provide my entity a W9? 

2)  If the individual says they are not required to provide a W9 (perhaps they are no longer a US citizen, or perhaps they are acting as a broker between me and the manufacturer), then what other form will I need in order to prove they are not required to provide the W9?

3) Lacking any form received from the individual, will my entity be able to expense/depreciate/write-off the the purchased item?

Thank you!!

1) No.

2) Nothing.  You are not required to issue a 1099-MISC for purchasing an item.  So no W-9 is needed.

3) Yes.  Just get a receipt and keep proof of payment.

Txpyr
Returning Member

Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies