turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

extdecor

turbotax business

My son & I have formed an LLC doing summertime painting to supplement our incomes.  He is a salaried teacher and I on a retirees pension.  We are using TurboTax Business for the first time.  We pay ourselves "by the job" in unequal amounts.  Where should we enter this information in TurboTax Business

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

turbotax business

As previously answered by Community member PatriciaV, partner distributions are entered under Business Info>Partner/Member Information.  Edit each partner and follow the prompts to the page "Member Capital".  Cash and property distributions are entered in the last two boxes.

This answer assumes that both you and your son are members of the LLC.  You are treated as a partnership for tax purposes, unless you file Form 8832 and affirmatively elect...

If you haven't made the election to be treated as a corporation, you are a partnership for tax purposes.  The payments you make to the members/partners are treated as "distributions" and not deductible as expenses of the business.  Instead, each partner will receive a K-1 from the partnership reporting that partner's share of profits, and also documenting the distributions made to the partner.  The distributions become a part of the calculation of that partner's "basis" in the partnership.

In the event you elected to be treated as a corporation, you are required to pay yourselves wages based on the value of the services you provide to the corporation.  Those wages are deductible as expenses of the corporation.  Then, the corporation sends you a W-2 at the end of the year to report the wages it paid to each "employee/owner". 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
extdecor

turbotax business

I am not sure whether to enter these into TurboTax Business as "guaranteed wages" or "distributions".  Which would be correct?

RobertG
Expert Alumni

turbotax business

It depends on the partnership agreement, but generally, you should treat them as distributions.

Guaranteed payments are payments that are guaranteed to a partner in the partnership agreement, no matter how much profit the business makes. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies