turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Subsistence allowance for municipal employees in SC

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

The subsistence allowance is found in the Income section of the SC return.  If you have already completed your SC return, Edit it and follow these steps:

• Click Edit beside the Income section
  • This opens a page titled “Here’s the income that South Carolina handles differently
  • Scroll down that page to Public Service > Subsistence Allowance
  • Click Start (or Revisit), enter the number of days, then click Continue

View solution in original post

9 Replies
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

The subsistence allowance is found in the Income section of the SC return.  If you have already completed your SC return, Edit it and follow these steps:

• Click Edit beside the Income section
  • This opens a page titled “Here’s the income that South Carolina handles differently
  • Scroll down that page to Public Service > Subsistence Allowance
  • Click Start (or Revisit), enter the number of days, then click Continue

Lingababe

There is nothing when you scroll down about public service. Where do I enter the number of days or amount?

Laxsis17

I put 0 because I thought you had to put something but now the $0 won't go away on the side of the "revisit". It is preventing me from filing, how do I get it to go away? 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Can you clarify where you are in TurboTax, trying to delete the 0?   And are you using the desktop software?   This is an old thread; if you want to start a new one, use this link.   @Laxsis17

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Lingababe

This thread may be old, but it is difficult to navigate finding where to put this deduction. I have always used the website. Directions on where to put the Police subsistence pay for both desktop and web page users may be helpful. There isn't much in reference to this when you search both TT or the internet, so this thread will continue to show up. A new thread will not be helpful.

Lingababe

To clarify, I am on the page that says "Here's the income SC handles differently". There is NOT a place that says Public Service. I am using Premier on the TT website if that makes a difference. I have not taken this credit for 3 years because I can't find where to enter it.

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Do you see what is in the screen shot below? @Lingababe

Subsistence allowances of $8.00 per regular workday are allowed for police and all commissioned law enforcement officers who are paid by South Carolina municipal, county, or state governments or the federal government, and full-time firefighters and emergency medical service personnel.

Your employer should provide you with the number of workdays you are entitled to use for this deduction.

Lingababe

I am aware of what and how much the police subsistence allowance is.  Your screenshot is different than what comes up on my screen. I'm going to guess that what you are showing is for residents of SC. My LEO works in SC, pays SC tax, but we live in a different state and file in both states.

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, the screenshot shown above corresponds to a South Carolina resident return. 

Non-resident returns do not have a corresponding specific input for the subsistence allowance.  Instead, you can enter it in the Other Subtractions section on the 'Here's the income that SC handles differently' page.  

Click Start or Update beside Other Subtractions.  Enter 'subsistence allowance' for the description and enter your number of days multiplied by $8 as the amount.  Be sure to keep your documentation just in case the deduction is questioned.

You mentioned that you have not claimed this deduction in previous years.  You can still amend those returns if you wish, up to three years from the due date of the return.

@Lingababe

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies