Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Reporting Business Income (Credit Card Referrals)

Hi, I started a travel blog in 2019. I earned some credit card points via credit card referrals. This past year a few of the banks started issuing tax forms (1099-MISC) for each of these credit card referrals. Can I count the income reported on these forms as business income instead of personal income? How best would I do that?  

Some additional background... I have no other business income from the blog. My business expenses were ~$100. TIA! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Can I count the income reported on these forms as business income instead of personal income?

If the income is reported in box 3 of that 1099-MISC, it's not "personal income" any way you look at it. It's business income. Period.

If you file a SCH C and "your" SSN or business EIN is in the "recipient's TIN" box,, then yes. Otherwise, if your business is not a SCH C business then that 1099-MISC needs to be reported on the tax return of the business whose EIN appears in the "Recipient's TIN" box.

Thanks!

Like you said, the income is reported in box 3 of 1099-MISC. My SSN appears in the recipient box. Additionally my business is a sole prop, so I'll be filing a SCH C.  Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies