turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Partnership extension after filing

I filed my Partnership return on 4/13/20. I was under the impression that they were due 4/15/20. We received a letter and penalty that they are late. Apparently the due date was changed to 3/16/20. Was there an extension this year due to Covid? Can I file an extension after the fact by chance or are we out of luck with this bill?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, the due dates for partnerships were moved back a month (from the 4th month to the 3rd month) a few years ago. There was no extension for partnerships due to Covid this year because the March deadline passed before the IRS started extending the other due dates (individual return due dates). So if your partnership was a calendar-year partnership, you are unfortunately late.

You will not receive an extension, as the extension request must be made on or before the due date.

You may qualify for a first-time penalty abatement, but you would need to retain a tax pro in person to handle it. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

considering what a pro may charge to write the abatement letter, you can probably do it yourself if this is the first time penalties have been assessed against the partnership.

https://www.aicpa.org/interestareas/tax/resources/irsprocedureadministration/irspenaltyabatement.htm...

explain why the late filing. include a statement that the partnership has taken steps to ensure timely filing in the future such as alerting all partners that can sign the return that the due date is 3/15. state that you request abatement 

send the request to the address in the penalty notice 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies