turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

PesqAna

Mileage deduction for business

I sold a vehicle in 2020 I was using for business and personal use. When I indicate in Turbo Tax that I stopped using the vehicle in 2020, it later asks me if I own the vehicle. I did own it when I was using it and I imagine I can therefore deduct the mileage from the time I used it for my business. It's not clear to me if the question refers to ownership at this moment, or ownership before I sold it. If I choose that I don't own it, it says I can't use the standard-mileage method. Please advise what the correct option is here.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Answer YES that you owned the car.  It is asking about the ownership during the time you used it for business (before you sold it).  If you don't or didn't own or lease the car, you would only be able to claim actual expenses such as car rental fees, gas, tolls, etc.   The standard mileage rate includes a depreciation component which you are not eligible to take if you do not own the depreciable property.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@PesqAna wrote:

I sold a vehicle in 2020 I was using for business and personal use. 

TurboTax is NOT set up to sell an asset (such as a vehicle) that varied in business percentage from year to year.  Assuming that applies to you, do NOT report the sale in the vehicle section.

You would tell the vehicle section you converted it to personal use, then MANAUALLY calculate things and enter the sale in the "Sale of Business Property" section.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies