turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MTM

How do I split the brokerage information from a 1099-B after a 50-50 asset divorce? Do I split each transaction individually? How will the IRS view this?

The agreement was to split interest, dividends, and stock transactions gains or losses 50-50.  Interest and dividends allowed for an adjustment in TurboTax, with the nominee's SSN usage, but this is not clear for adjusting 1099-B information.   Do I need to split each transaction so it reflects the 50-50 agreement?  Both our names were on the Joint Tenant Brokerage Account and my SSN was used as the primary identification number.  I was not sure how the IRS will view this since it will vary from the Brokerage House records.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RichardK

How do I split the brokerage information from a 1099-B after a 50-50 asset divorce? Do I split each transaction individually? How will the IRS view this?

It sounds to me like the agreement is requiring you to split each security sale.

You may have to prepare an attachment and paper file your return. I do not see an easy way to report this in  Turbotax, but click here for a Turbotax article that addresses this issue. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RichardK

It sounds to me like the agreement is requiring you to split each security sale.

You may have to prepare an attachment and paper file your return. I do not see an easy way to report this in  Turbotax, but click here for a Turbotax article that addresses this issue. 

Do you still have a working link to that article as this link didn’t work 

thanks

So you don't need to bend over backwards and deal with months of IRS letters ... may I suggest you just put all the income on the one return whose SS# it was reported on then divide the extra tax by half and have the other spouse reimburse that person or withhold it from the division.  This will save you grief from IRS hassles later down the road.  

To easily do this just complete the return without the common income and note the bottom line then add the common income and note the new bottom line. Then divide the difference in half and settle up with the other person. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies