Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

grattonn3

If I performed work for my business but wasn’t paid till 2020 do i report this in 2019

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

If I performed work for my business but wasn’t paid till 2020 do i report this in 2019

I t depends if your business uses cash or accrual method accounting- also, if you reported W2 wages you would report in the year of service.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Generally speaking, you claim the income in the year you received the money...if you are using the cash receipts method of accounting.  If you are using the accrual method of accounting, you would claim it when fully accrued...

However, you say "my business".  What form of business is it?  1120, 1120S, 1065, etc.?

How much of it do you own? 

Did the business claim the expense in 2019...or 2020?

If you own enough of the business...or it becomes a "related party" under the attribution rules, it may be such that the business can't claim the expense until it pays you.  The rules for this are specified in IRC Code Section 267

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**
Carl
Level 15

A living breathing individual reports income in the tax year they physically receive it, or have control of the money. It does not matter what period of time that income may be for. Period.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies