Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hnford9

I paid for TurboTax Self-Employed when I filed, but I ended up taking the standard deduction. I don't think it was necessary to put in my business expenses and I didn't need to pay for the $130 progra

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I paid for TurboTax Self-Employed when I filed, but I ended up taking the standard deduction. I don't think it was necessary to put in my business expenses and I didn't need to pay for the $130 progra

The Standard Deduction has nothing to do with your self employment expenses.  The SE expenses reduced your Net Profit on Schedule C so you paid less SE tax on it.   The Standard Deduction is subtracted from your total income so you have less income to pay regular income tax on.  You are paying both regular income tax and self employment tax.  You get to take both the Standard Deduction and your self employment expenses.  

Business expenses are not reported on Schedule A as an itemized deduction. 

They are entered on Schedule C.  Business expenses reduce the amount of business income that is reported on your tax return Form 1040 as a net profit.  Thereby lowering your taxable income and your tax liability plus reducing the amount of Self-Employment taxes you have to pay on the net profit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies