turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where should I claim software subscriptions for my small business?

Dropbox, Adobe Creative Cloud, etc..
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenaC

The cost of any apps and online tools you use to run your business, such as subscriptions to Adobe Creative CloudEvernote, or Dropbox can be claimed under Other Common Business Expenses>Other Miscellaneous Expenses.

See the screenshot below.

[Additional screenshots added 4-11-16 7:52 am PST]

View solution in original post

8 Replies
HelenaC

Additional screenshots added.

I am using deluxe on a MAC and my screens do not look like the ones below. I need to enter Adobe subscription, where do I do that?
HelenaC

The cost of any apps and online tools you use to run your business, such as subscriptions to Adobe Creative CloudEvernote, or Dropbox can be claimed under Other Common Business Expenses>Other Miscellaneous Expenses.

See the screenshot below.

[Additional screenshots added 4-11-16 7:52 am PST]

Is it possible to deduct the cost of 1-year subscription paid in the middle of the year? If yes, then why? For example, rent and insurance can't be deducted in advance.
HelenaC

As a cash-basis taxpayer, you report income as it is received. So even though the rent payment was for the next year, you should include this rental expense in the current year.

Prepaid insurance premiums are deductible when paid as long as they don't apply to a period extending more than 12 months after the end of the taxable year when the payments were made. If the insurance contract runs for a longer period, you need to take the deduction over time.

The 12-Month Rule
So the general rule is that all prepaid expenses must be capitalized. There is an exception to that, however, in certain circumstances. Under Reg. Section 1-263(a)-4(f), taxpayers are not required to capitalize prepaid expenditures for “any right or benefit for the taxpayer that does not extend beyond the earlier of—

12 months after the first date on which the taxpayer realizes the right or benefit; or
The end of the taxable year following the taxable year in which the payment is made.”

Example: Grayson Corporation purchased an insurance policy on October 31, 2015 covering November 1, 2015 to October 31, 2016. The general rule says that must be capitalized and expensed as it is utilized. However, the 12 month rule can apply here because the policy does not cover a period beyond 12 months after the date on which the taxpayer realized the benefit (November 1, 2015). Therefore the entire amount of the policy could be expensed in 2015.

Cash Basis Taxpayers:
In general, the rules for cash basis taxpayers are fairly straightforward. When revenue is received it is income. When expenses are paid they are deducted. However, because of the general rule regarding prepaid expenses, simply prepaying an expense does not make it immediately deductible (barring an exception due to the 12-month rule).

Say for example that on November 1, 2015, Drake Corp purchased a computer maintenance service program that covered from November 1, 2015 to October 31, 2017. This prepayment must be capitalized because it does not meet the 12-month rule and therefore it is expensed as the benefit is received, even for cash basis taxpayers.
kylejwx

The 2017 version of TurboTax looks a little different. I'll try to upload a screen shot.
JaLaMooNo

I paid for an Adobe Creative Cloud one year subscription in November 2016. Can I deduct the months of January-November 2017 as Other Common Business Expenses > Other Miscellaneous Expenses for 2017? I do not understand the 12-month rule explained above. Thank you.

@JaLaMooNo, I'm no expert, but based on my understanding of the earlier reply: - If you operate on a cash basis,  then you could have deducted the entire 1-year subscription paid in 2016 on your _2016_, not 2017, tax return. The rule appears to be, for expenses paid in advance for:

- anything lasting 12 months or less and ending before the end of the _next_ tax year (2017 in your case) can be deducted in full in the year in which you pay them (2016).

- anything lasting more than 12 months or extending past the end of the _next_ tax year would have to be deducted in pro-rated pieces: one piece for each tax year that your payment is paying for. So I guess if you paid for a 2-year subscription in November 2016, I think you would deduct 1/2 (12 months) in 2016. For the other half, I'm less sure; maybe deduct the other half in 2017.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies