Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I invested 10,000 in a business in 2016. The business folded in 2019. How do I claim the loss?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
RobertG
Expert Alumni

I invested 10,000 in a business in 2016. The business folded in 2019. How do I claim the loss?

It depends on how you made the investment.  

If you lent money to a business, you would report it as a bad debt, see: How to Report Non-Business Bad Debt on a Tax Return

If it was your own business, you would have been reporting gains and losses as they occurred each year.

If you owned stock in a business, you would report it as the disposition of stock. See: How do I deduct worthless stock?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

you may have invested $10 grand but to take your loss you got to know your basis.  an investment in a publically traded stock would probably leave your basis at $10K while an investment in an S-corp or partnership/llc would require you to adjust the $10K for the profit/losses and distributions. 

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

More information about the business investment may help resolve your issue.  For example, what was the nature of your investment (e.g., purchased shares in a corporation or S Corp, purchased interest in a partnership, made a loan to a business); did you receive any income from that investment while it was operating; and was there any other money you spent or received related to this investment?

@staceyblair5

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies