Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I did not have a business in 2021, how do I remove the Form 8995 (Qualified Business Income Deduction Simplified Calculation) requirement that is delaying me from filing?

I didn't work in 2021 and don't know why I'm being required to complete this form (which isn't available until the end of the month)
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I did not have a business in 2021, how do I remove the Form 8995 (Qualified Business Income Deduction Simplified Calculation) requirement that is delaying me from filing?

Do you have other income like from a K-1?  It can come from other things.  See this FAQ

What is the 20% QBI Deduction and how it's calculated

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/credits-and-deductions/help/what-is-the-qualified-business-income-...

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It depends. To clarify, did you have any other income such as K1 income or rental income?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

No, not at all. I'm a disabled veteran. The year prior, however, I had self employment income, since I worked in life insurance. I did not apply any W-2s to this year's income tax statements, being that I don't have any.

No, I don't have a K-1 either. Thanks for the link. I reviewed it and do not see anything that would apply to the 2021 tax year 

It's probably the old Sch C that transferred over ... if you did not say it was closed in 2020 then it was transferred forward so now you need to remove it.

FAQ:   How do I delete a prior-year Schedule C business that transferred over?

Don't delete your business if it closed sometime in 2021.   Instead, report the business and make sure you select I sold (or disposed of) my business in 2021 on the Tell us about your business screen.

Otherwise, follow these instructions to delete a business that transferred over from your 2020 return but is no longer owned by you as of January 1, 2021.

Instructions

1. With your return open, search for this exact phrase: business (schedule c) (include the parentheses) and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  2. Answer Yes when asked if you had (or want to work on) business income and expenses for 2021.
    • That's right – you'll need to answer Yes, even though it doesn't make sense.
    • If you're being forced to upgrade to Home & Business, contact us for further assistance.
  3. When you get to the Business info or Business Summary screen, click Delete next to the defunct business.
  4. Answer Yes to confirm the removal of all business-related forms.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies