Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am completing a schedule C, its not asking for cost of goods..where do I put the cost of the clothing I sell?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

I am completing a schedule C, its not asking for cost of goods..where do I put the cost of the clothing I sell?

The cost of good sold is part of your inventory. Inventory accounts is for goods available for sale that have an associated cost to manufacture or acquire. If that does not apply to you, you can just write off your merchandise under supplies or miscellaneous expenses when you purchase it.

If you still need to add inventory:

1. Log in to your account.
  2. Go to Federal Taxes.
  3. Go to Income and Expenses.
  4. Go to Self employment Income.
  5. Select Edit next to your line of work.
  6. Scroll down and click Add expenses for this work.
  7. Scroll down to Inventory.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm not real adept at actually using TT.  But in Home & Business, you keep answering the questions about business, you will get to a screen that has your business on it.  There is a section "Inventory/Cost of Goods Sold".

Click on that and that were you would put the cost of the clothing you sell.

Alternatively, you could click on the "View" tab, Forms, Sch C, scroll down to line 4 in income (which comes from line 42).  Go to Part III  Cost of Goods Sold.  There you can directly enter in the method of accounting for valuing inventory, beginning inventory, purchases, etc. less ending inventory and finally, COS or cost of goods sold.

Hope that helps.  If there is a shorter more specific method, perhaps someone else can point it out.

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies