turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I uncheck the disaster distribution box? I have already paid and TurboTax will not let me start over, nor will it let me uncheck the box. It will not let me file.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
MichaelG81
Expert Alumni

How can I uncheck the disaster distribution box? I have already paid and TurboTax will not let me start over, nor will it let me uncheck the box. It will not let me file.

Why can't I uncheck the disaster distribution box? Sign up for notifications if this has to do with a disaster distribution box. It is a known issue.

@yhuang1998

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
gbmi

I am having the same problem. I can't fix it, I can't file, and I can't figure out how to get help with it.  What does the reply "Sign up for notifications" mean?  How do I do this?  Thank you.

gbmi

What does "Sign up for notifications" mean.  How do we do this?

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

@gbmi 

This issue should be resolved now. Can you please try the steps provided below:

• Log completely out of your TurboTax account
  • Clear cache and delete cookies
  • Then log back in and see if you are still having the same issue

You can also try a different web browser. If this does not work, please respond back here and let us know.

gbmi

Thank you for replying, Tiffany, but you are wrong.  I went through those steps AGAIN, and once more, it did not resolve the problem.

On top of this, I tried calling Customer Support last night, got in the call-back queue, and they hung up on me seconds after calling -- I barely got "Hello" out.

Please please please, if anyone knows how to fix this, let me know.

HopeS
Expert Alumni

The Form 8915-F issue was resolved.

Please follow the guidelines provided below by @DanaB27 carefully. Once, you delete the Form clear Cache as suggested by @TiffanyL before logging into your TurboTax account.

Please try these steps to fix the rejection issue:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on the "Search" on the top and type “1099-R”  
  3. Click on “Jump to 1099-R” 
  4. If you do not have any 2022 1099-R answer "No" to "Did you get a 1099-R in 2022?" (If you have any other 1099-R then enter all 1099-R and after entering your last 1099-R click "Continue" on the “Review your 1099-R info​​​​​​​” screen)
  5. Answer "Yes" to the "Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2022?" screen
  6. Answer "Yes" to "Did you take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?"
  7. Uncheck the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here" and click Continue
  8. On the "Which disaster affected you in 2020?" screen I selected the blank entry and click "back
  9. Then recheck the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here" and continue.

Another option is to delete "Form 8915-F" and "Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Distr" and then go back to the retirement section and reenter the information:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select "Tax Tools" and then "Tools".
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, select "Delete a form".
  4. Select "Delete" next to "Form 8915-F" and "Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Distr" and follow the instructions.
  5. Click on the "Search" on the top and type “1099-R”  
  6. Click on “Jump to 1099-R” 
  7. If you do not have any 2022 1099-R answer "No" to "Did you get a 1099-R in 2022?" (If you have any other 1099-R then enter all 1099-R and after entering your last 1099-R click "Continue" on the “Review your 1099-R info​​​​​​​” screen)
  8. Answer "Yes" to the "Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2022?" screen
  9. Answer "Yes" to "Did you take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?"
  10. Check the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here" and enter your information.

See the Link Below for Additional Information:

Form 8915-F

gbmi

I had already tried going back to the 1099-R form and following that path; didn't work.

I was able to get through on the phone today to someone (Matilda) who could fix it.  We went to Forms View, and using the Table of Contents to the left side of the screen, right-clicked on the 8915 entries and deleted them all. That worked; such a relief!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies