Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Home office real estate tax and mortgage interest....on form 8829

I have a small office (in my home).I am doing the standard deduction and not itemizing on schedule A. In  filling out the home office deduction worksheet 8829, TT asks for my mortgage interest and real estate tax's on one page and the page which is for the home office only it auto filled the mortgage interest and it again asks for the real estate tax's for the whole home.  Is this right? I don't want to double dip.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Yes, you enter the property taxes for the entire home where TurboTax asks.  The software will then allocate the property taxes to the home office based on square footage.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
PaulK

Why isn't the mortgage interest carrying down when input on form 8829? I see the balance is going to Schedule A but not factoring in on 8829.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You should see the mortgage interest listed on form 8829 in Part II on column (b). It will be multiplied by the business percentage in box 7 and the deductible amount will show up on line 13.  If you don't see it there, I would review your home office entries to make sure it was entered properly. 

For me, Form 8829 shows the full amount of property tax as a direct expense, and deducts the full amount from income (lines 12-14).  Then the percent of property tax attributed to my home office is deducted on line 24.  

I'm taking the standard deduction because my state income tax and property tax far exceeds the $10,000 limit (I'm in California).  I'm not sure if this makes a difference.

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

No, the home office amount is based on percentage of square footage so taking the standard deduction will not affect the amount.

@Jeni1

Ok, but what I'm seeing is a "double dipping".  Net income is reduced by both the full amount of my property taxes and the percentage allocated to the home office.  For example my property taxes are roughly $6,000.  Net income is reduced first by $6,000, and then by $300 (5% of my house is office space).    I don't know why the program would do this.  This is my first year of business, so I don't have experience with this form.  I guess I'll just do it manually to make sure it's correct.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies