turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does the IRS know if an individual is Active Duty military if they have filed their 2019 tax return with Turbo tax? My wife has an ITIN. We are stimulus eligible.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Does the IRS know if an individual is Active Duty military if they have filed their 2019 tax return with Turbo tax? My wife has an ITIN. We are stimulus eligible.

My professional program's stimulus registration program has that check box for the spouse of a military member with an ITIN to qualify for the stimulus check when filing jointly so this must be true but I cannot find the IRS reference on it. 

View solution in original post

10 Replies
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, the IRS knows if you have filed 2018 and/or 2019 tax returns.  They would also be able to determine you received active duty military pay; however that is not a factor for stimulus payments.  As for your spouse, one must have a valid Social Security number to be eligible for the economic stimulus payment.  Here is link with information on the payments and eligibility. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I was under the impression if you are active duty and any of your dependents or spouse has an ITIN, you’d be exempt from being excluded from the stimulus just as long as myself had a SSN.  (Married filed Jointly).

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

According to this stripes.com site, Military families who file joint tax returns will not get this year’s special stimulus check if their foreign spouses do not have Social Security numbers, according to military tax experts and the Internal Revenue Service.

According to this Site 

Military families are now exempt if one spouse has an ITIN.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

The site you referenced in your post was for the economic stimulus issued in 2008 and does not apply to the current stimulus package. 

The article sited a Tax Law that was put into place that has not been amended. However, I received my answer from another Active Duty Service Member who has a spouse with an ITIN.  This individual is pending a Stimulus Payment for the 15th.  Thank you.

My professional program's stimulus registration program has that check box for the spouse of a military member with an ITIN to qualify for the stimulus check when filing jointly so this must be true but I cannot find the IRS reference on it. 

That’s correct. Go to irs.gov>get my payment>click “get my payment”>click “okay”>click “Frequently Asked Questions”>scroll down to “Accessing Get My Payment”>select the last question in that column titled “If I have an ITIN, can I use Get My Payment?”

The response states “the only exception is when two spouses file a joint tax return and either spouse is a member of the U.S. Armed Forces at any time during the taxable year, in which case only one spouse needs to have a valid SSN.”

This was not the case during the 2008 recession. Don’t get articles from 2008 confused with articles from 2020.

DaveF1006 and horra1: Your references are outdated (2008).

2 weeks ago there were only 5 FAQs on the IRS site ... but now it is up to 32 and more are added daily. 

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment-frequently-asked-questions

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies