Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Business income for which year?

Just want to get confirmation on this.

For my service in 2020, I will be receiving a payment in 2021 (before March 15) from a Trust, as the payment is based on a % of the prior year's profitability.  The Trust is treating this as an expense for 2020.

However, I'm using the cash method of accounting.  I'm wondering this is a 2021 income for me or 2020 income? What's the catch if any?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

"will be getting a check" would seem to indicate the check was not written until 2021 so the trust is not entitled to a deduction until 2021.  even if the trust uses the accrual basis for reporting, highly unlikely,  the tax rules for related parties and other tax rules would prevent the trust from deducting the fee until the check was written. if the check was written in 2020 then since you have full control over the trust it would be taxable to you in 2020

View solution in original post

4 Replies
M-MTax
Level 10

What are you to the trust? A beneficiary, a trustee, an employee...........something else? The problem is if the trust sends you a 1099 with the year 2020 on it....you're going to get question by the feds if you don't report it on your 2020 return. If you get paid and it's on a K-1 you have to report it on your 2020 return no question. Whatever you do make a copy of the check.

I'm the trustee to the Trust, I am getting the trustee fee. Since the Trust is not a business, I won't get the 1099-MISC nor I get a K1.  Basically, I will get a check and that's about it.  The Trust is reporting this trustee fee (as expense) for 2020 in their form to IRS.  From your answer, it seems have to include the trustee fee for 2020 even I actually received the check in 2021 with cash method of accounting. Please confirm.

"will be getting a check" would seem to indicate the check was not written until 2021 so the trust is not entitled to a deduction until 2021.  even if the trust uses the accrual basis for reporting, highly unlikely,  the tax rules for related parties and other tax rules would prevent the trust from deducting the fee until the check was written. if the check was written in 2020 then since you have full control over the trust it would be taxable to you in 2020

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

I agree with Mike9241.  More than likely the trust is on a cash basis (not accrual), so they can take the deduction when the payment is made--2021.  You are also on a cash basis and should report the income when received (also 2021), even if the trust is on an accrual basis.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies