Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Lattitude1
Returning Member

Auto Expenses

I purchased a vehicle new in 2014 and started using Actual expenses instead of Standard mileage method. At the time I read that I had to continue using Actual expenses for at least the first 5 years.  Can I now use the standard mileage method?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Auto Expenses

No, you can't use the Standard Mileage Rate for your business car. According to IRS Topic No. 510 Business Use of Car, if you used the actual expense method the first year you claimed the mileage deduction you cannot switch from the actual expense method to the standard method. 

To use the standard mileage rate for a car you own, you must choose to use it in the first year the car is available for use in your business.

• Then, in later years, you can choose to use the standard mileage rate or actual expenses, whichever is higher. 

Additional information TurboTax FAQ: Can I switch between the standard mileage rate and actual expense method?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Lattitude1
Returning Member

Auto Expenses

Thanks for your quick response on Auto Expenses and the backup info.

Now I am trying to find how an auto that has been Partly depreciated for a few years is accounted for when it is sold or disposed of.  Some examples would be good.  Thanks again.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Auto Expenses

When you sell the vehicle, TurboTax will prompt you to enter the accumulated depreciation deducted for the vehicle. The program may provide you with the number also. Then, you will be asked for the sale price. Your gain or loss will then be calculated by subtracting the cost of the vehicle, net of the depreciation, from the sale price. You will have a taxable gain or deductible loss, adjusted for the business use percentage of the vehicle.

You need to access the Asset/Depreciation section for the business you are working on and edit the vehicle you disposed of to see the option for recording the sale of the vehicle. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies