Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Lincoln99

Allocation of Section 179

We have multi business properties for Schedule E, how do I allocate Section 179 to each business property?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

split it pro rata.......you'll have to do the math yourself.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure I understand the problem.  taking 179 is an asset by asset election.    there is no requirement to take 179 up to the max on an asset.   so really the allocation is up to you.  but why take 179 which is subject to a business income limitation.  if the asset qualifies for bonus depreciation, there is no business income limit.   generally if an asset placed in service in 2018 qualifies for 179 it qualifies for bonus.    

Carl
Level 15

SEC179 does not apply to real property (except in special situations which are not applicable to rental real estate). It applies to "qualified" assets; and not all assets qualify. But do understand that if you take SEC179 on an asset in one property, then you must give equal treatment to that same asset type across all properties.

For example, if you elect to take the SEC179 deduction on a new water heater that you installed in property A, then if you also installed a new water heater in property B, you must also take the SEC 179 on the new water heater in property B. You can't elect to take the deduction for property A, and then depreciate the same asset type in property B.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies