turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-G Agriculture Payment

I received a 1099-G Agriculture payment from the US Dept of Agriculture. Turbo Tax is not including this amount in my income. Any ideas why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Where did you enter it?

From rjs:

In the Search box type "government payments" (without the quotes), then click the link that says "Jump to government payments." The first screen asks "Did you have any of these types of income?" The list does not include agricultural program payments, but click Yes anyway. On the next screen check the box for "Other Government Payments reported on Form 1099-G" and click Continue. After that it will be clear what to do.

We received 1099-G from USDA with income in box 4 (taxable grants).  The "government payments" in TT home and office business section for farms does not show box 4 or anything about taxable grants.  I found TT allowed box 4 entry in personal income under 1099-G.  Which is the best place to enter this 1099-G?

@hillbros wrote:

We received 1099-G from USDA with income in box 4 (taxable grants).  The "government payments" in TT home and office business section for farms does not show box 4 or anything about taxable grants.  I found TT allowed box 4 entry in personal income under 1099-G.  Which is the best place to enter this 1099-G?

On the screen Tell Us About Your Government Payment check the box Federal or state income tax was withheld on this payment

On the following screen box 4 will be shown

Sorry, I was wrong about box 4....it's actually box 6...taxable grants. Now what should I do?

Thanks

@hillbros wrote:

Sorry, I was wrong about box 4....it's actually box 6...taxable grants. Now what should I do?

Thanks

Box 6 is shown on the page for taxable grants.

Enter grants in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to grants

On the screen Did you have any of these types of income? click on Yes

On the screen State and local tax refunds and other government payments check the box Other Government Payments reported on Form 1099-G and Continue

On the screen Any Other Government Payments?  click on YES and Continue

On the screen What Type of Payment Did You Receive? select Taxable grant and Continue

Enter the Form 1099-G 

Thanks DoninGA.  That's exactly where I put the info.  Just needed assurance it was the correct place. 

Turbo Tax asks for 1099-G data in two places - under personal income and under farm and farm rental income. I need to know if it should be entered in both places or only one.

Krbm02

Curious, did you receive an answer for this?

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Enter Form 1099-G where the form most applies in your case. Form 1099-G can be for state refunds, unemployment, etc. For farm and farm rental income, Form 1099-G must be reported in the Farm section. 

To get to the correct section of the return, from inside the program, enter farm income in the search box. Click the Jump to link in the search results. 

Payments received from the government are reported on a Form 1099-G and can include agricultural program payments and federal disaster payments. Market gain on Commodity Credit Corporation loans can also be reported on a Form 1099-G.

Examples of agricultural program payments include:
 - Price loss coverage payments
 - Agriculture risk coverage payments
 - Market Facilitation Program payments
 - Market gain from the repayment of a secured Commodity Credit Corporation loan for less than the original loan amount
 - Diversion payments
 - Cost-share payments (sight drafts)
 - Payments in the form of materials or services

@bb14

@Krbm02

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies